This leather firefighter’s helmet in our collection dates to the late 1800s and was likely used in the early years of the Anderson City Fire Department.
This type of fire helmet was created in 1820 by leatherworker Henry Gratacap. Called “The New Yorker,” it was designed with the long duckbill in the back to prevent water and embers from passing down the fireman’s back. This helmet is missing a piece: the eagle typically held a plaque with the fire department’s name and city.