About Us

Welcome to Anderson County Museum!

Since 1983 the award winning Anderson County Museum has been the custodian of local and regional history. We preserve and interpret artifacts that document the history of Anderson County and South Carolina for present and future generations. As a key element in the cultural arts scene, we contribute significantly to the intellectual landscape of Anderson County through our exhibits and programs. We value education and provide an environment for the community and visitors alike to explore, discover and enjoy history. The Friends of the Anderson County Museum is a private 501(C)3 non-profit organization. Gifts made to the Friends of the Anderson County Museum exclusively support Museum exhibits and programs. Anderson County funds the Museum’s staff and the operation of its building.

Mission Statement

For 33 years the Anderson County Museum (ACM) has collected, preserved, and interpreted artifacts that document the history of Anderson and South Carolina. We educate a diverse audience by creating a place where visitors find meaning in learning the local, regional, and national significance of Anderson and South Carolina.

Anderson County History Timeline

1784

Region opened to settlement.
Read more

1789 Mar

Pendleton District formed.
Read more

1790

Town of Pendleton incorporated.
Read more

1798

Pendleton District.
Read more

1801

Andersonville founded by Samuel Earle.
Read more

1820s

First textile plant at Andersonville.
Read more

December 20, 1826

Anderson & Pickens Counties formed.
Read more

February, 1827

Anderson Court House founded.
Read more

October, 1828

1st court session in Anderson Courthouse.
Read more

1830

Brownville (later Townville) founded.
Read more

December 19, 1833

Anderson City government: Intendent and 4 Wardens.
Read more

1836

Pendleton Manufacturing Company.
Read more

April 9, 1845

Anderson Business District burns.
Read more

1851

Fant’s Book Store opens.
Read more

1852

Blue Ridge started to Knoxville.
Read more

1852

Another freshet hits Andersonville.
Read more

1852

Williamston (formerly Mineral Springs) incorporated.
Read more

1853

Johnson Female Academy founded.
Read more

July, 1853

Blue Ridge branch from Belton completed to connect with Columbia and Greenville RR.
Read more

1855

Belton and Honea Path chartered.
Read more

December 20, 1860

Ordinance of Secession signed in Charleston.
Read more

April, 1861

Fort Sumter bombarded.
Read more

April 8, 1865

General Lee surrenders to General Grant at Appomattox Courthouse.
Read more

May 1, 1865

May Day Raid on Anderson.
Read more

1868

Pickens County split to form Oconee County, Anderson District becomes Anderson County.
Read more

September 2, 1872

Hampton’s Red Shirt Campaign.
Read more

1873

Piedmont Mill founded.
Read more

1875

Sullivan Hardware founded.
Read more

1881

Pelzer Mill #1.
Read more

February 9, 1882

City government changed to Mayor and City Council.
Read more

1887

Pelzer Mill #2.
Read more

1888

Starr (formerly Twiggs) chartered.
Read more

December 31, 1888

Hotel Chiquola dedicated.
Read more

1889

Anderson Cotton Mill incorporated.
Read more

1889

William C. Whitner asked to build steam plant (lit 750 incandescent bulbs downtown).
Read more

1889

New Masonic Temple replaces 1855 building.
Read more

1889

Pelzer Mill #3.
Read more

1890

Anderson population 3,000.
Read more

1891

Bank of Anderson building (where Christopher Orr store stood).
Read more

November, 1892

Oliver Bolt’s cotton gin electrified.
Read more

1894

Anderson Water, Light & Power Co. leased McFall’s Mill.
Read more

April 16, 1895

Westinghouse & Tesla generate electricity at Niagara Falls plant.
Read more

May 1, 1895

High Shoals plant produces first electricity transmitted over long distance lines in South...
Read more

June, 1895

Anderson Intellegencer presses operated by electricity.
Read more

June 19, 1895

Charleston News & Courier dubs Anderson “The Electric City.”
Read more

1895

Anderson population 6,000.
Read more

April, 1896

Anderson Cotton Mill electrified.
Read more

1896

Public School System begins in West Market St. School and Greeley Institute.
Read more

1897

Ligon & Ledbetter store opens.
Read more

November 1, 1897

Portman Shoals power house begins operation (11,000 volts over 12 miles).
Read more

1898

City Hall built.
Read more

1898

Silver Brook Park becomes city cemetery.
Read more

1899

Orr Cotton Mills, Belton Cotton Mill.
Read more

1900

Cox (Equinox) Mill, Anderson Yarn & Knitting (Riverside), Williamston Mill.
Read more

1901

Portman Shoals Dam raised.
Read more

1901

Confederate Monument dedicated.
Read more

December 29, 1901

Freshet washes away center of Portman Shoals Dam and floods power house...
Read more

1902

Brogan (Appleton), Townsend, Chiquola (Honea Path).
Read more

1902

New Portman Shoals Dam completed.
Read more

1903

Sullivan Hardware moves into Rufus Hill building.
Read more

1903

Gluck (Wellington), Toxaway, Pendleton (Blue Ridge).
Read more

April 7, 1904

Anderson Traction chartered.
Read more

September, 1904

Iva (formerly Cook’s Station) chartered.
Read more

1905

Robert Anderson Fountain dedicated.
Read more

February 19, 1905

Anderson Traction begins operation.
Read more

February 19, 1905

Trolley lines extended to Gluck Mill.
Read more

November 2, 1905

Maude Broadwick dies at Buena Vista Park.
Read more

1906

Jackson Mill (Iva).
Read more

March 11, 1906

Portman Shoals Power Plant gutted by fire.
Read more

July, 1906

Buena Vista Park.
Read more

June, 1907

Electric Rail line to Belton completed.
Read more

1907

Carnegie Library opens.
Read more

1907

Hospital established.
Read more

August 25, 1908

Freshet.
Read more

1909

Conneross Yarn Mill.
Read more

1909

Duke buys Anderson Traction Co.
Read more

1909

Post Office built.
Read more

1911

Anderson College chartered.
Read more

June, 1911

Greenville, Spartanburg & Anderson Electric Railway begins building freight yard...
Read more

1912

Line to Pelzer completed.
Read more

1912

Service from Belton to Greenwood begins. Anderson Traction Company to Belton...
Read more

1913

Anderson Water, Light & Power Co. sold to Duke.
Read more

October 13, 1913

North Anderson Street Railway completed.
Read more

1914

Blue Ridge passenger station completed.
Read more

1914

World War I begins.
Read more

September 28, 1918

Corporal Freddie Stowers killed in action.
Read more

1919

World War I ends.
Read more

1920

University Hospital opens in former Johnson Female Academy.
Read more

1924

Chiquola Hotel becomes Plaza Hotel.
Read more

1925

John C. Calhoun Hotel opens.
Read more

1925

North Anderson Street Railway ceases operation.
Read more

1928

Traditions & History of Anderson County published.
Read more

November 14, 1931

Amelia Earhart lands at Anderson Air Field.
Read more

1934

Buses replace trolleys.
Read more

July 2, 1937

Amelia Earhart missing over Pacific Ocean.
Read more

September, 1937

Anderson County Airport opens.
Read more

1939

World War II begins.
Read more

1940

Broadway Lake built.
Read more

1940

1st Bridge over Blue Ridge Railroad built.
Read more

1945

World War II ends.
Read more

September, 1945

2nd Viaduct opens.
Read more

1950s

County Jail moved to W. Church St.
Read more

1950

Blue Ridge changed to Carolina & Western (later to Southern then Norfolk-Southern).
Read more

1955

Present day 4 lane Viaduct completed.
Read more

1955

Construction begins on Hartwell Reservoir project.
Read more

December 9, 1960

Portman Shoals ceases operation.
Read more

1961

Belvedere Plaza Built.
Read more

April 27, 1962

Hartwell Dam goes online.
Read more

1964

Interstate 85 opens.
Read more

1966

Fire Station #2 built.
Read more

1969

Piedmont & Northern merges with Seaboard Coast Line.
Read more

March, 1972

Anderson Mall opens.
Read more

1983

Fred Whitten opens Museum in Courthouse Basement.
Read more

1984

Gallant-Belk and Sears move from downtown to Anderson Mall.
Read more

1985

New fire station built.
Read more

1987

Robert Anderson Fountain dismantled, stored at Foundry & Steel.
Read more

December 7, 1988

Anderson County Airport becomes Anderson Regional Airport.
Read more

1991

New Courthouse built.
Read more

1991

Civic Center built.
Read more

May, 2003

Anderson County Museum opens in new facility.
Read more

2007

Chiquola Condominiums open.
Read more

2009

Fire Station #3 built.
Read more

Anderson County Museum Timeline

1978

The museum’s “Founding Father” Fred Whitten, while president of the Anderson County Historical...
READ MORE

October 7, 1982

Representatives of local historical organizations, including the Anderson County Historical Society,...
READ MORE

October, 1983

The first item accessioned was the Glenn Street School cornerstone...
READ MORE

October 23, 1983

The museum’s Grand Opening consisted of exhibits featuring items donated by Whitten...
READ MORE

January, 1984

Visitation records began to be kept.
READ MORE

Spring, 1984

Donna Roper was assigned to be Museum Curator under Hurley Badders.
READ MORE

March 20, 1984

County Council made the museum a division of the Pendleton District Commission...
READ MORE

1985

New fire station built.
READ MORE

December 7, 1988

Anderson County Airport becomes Anderson Regional Airport.
READ MORE

1991

With the construction of a new county courthouse, the old courthouse building was closed...
READ MORE

1991

Civic Center built.
READ MORE

January, 1992

The Advisory Committee conducted a re-organizational meeting after which the Anderson County Chapter...
READ MORE

March 14, 1994

The museum reopened in the renovated courthouse. It was located in a third floor suite...
READ MORE

August, 1996

The Anderson County Council voted to designate the recently vacated County Home building...
READ MORE

June 4, 1997

At a meeting of the Advisory Committee, County Administrator Joey Preston proposed that...
READ MORE

October 5, 1998

Paula Reel hired as first Director of the Museum through May 31, 2005.
READ MORE

January, 2001

A fundraising campaign was started for the restoration of the Robert Anderson Fountain...
READ MORE

November 1, 2002

The Robert Anderson Memorial Fountain restoration project was completed...
READ MORE

April 15, 2003

Turbines and Textiles Exhibit, South Carolina Heritage Corridor Exhibit...
READ MORE

May 18, 2003

The Grand Opening of our present facility occurred on International Museum Day.
READ MORE

September, 2003

Alison Hinman hired as second curator and retired May 1, 2015.
READ MORE

October, 2003

Let us Worship Church Exhibit opened.
READ MORE

November 15, 2003

Keep the Home Fires Burning Military Exhibit opened.
READ MORE

2004

Original Museum Store opened.
READ MORE

March, 2005

The restoration and conservation of the McGee Harness Shop...
READ MORE

May 15, 2005

King of Mirth Exhibit opened. The restored McGee Harness Shop was open to the public.
READ MORE

August 24, 2007

Exhibit By the Book the History of Education in Anderson County was opened.
READ MORE

January, 2008

Beverly Childs hired as Museum Executive Director...
READ MORE

May 3, 2008

Museum Gallery named after Fred Whitten and becomes the Fred Whitten Gallery...
READ MORE

May 23, 2008

Orr Monument was moved from Orr Mill to the Anderson County Museum...
READ MORE

May 26, 2008

Sally Rose Miniature House Exhibit opened.
READ MORE

May 7, 2009

Pendleton District Historical, Recreational and Tourism Commission gifted...
READ MORE

June, 2009

Anderson Heritage provided funding to move the One Room School House...
READ MORE

October 23, 2009

Opened Trade Street Exhibit. The Anderson County Museum published our first picture book...
READ MORE

June 1, 2010

Opened Anderson Baseball Hall of Fame Exhibit.
READ MORE

October, 2010

Director Beverly Childs and Friends of the Anderson County Museum republished...
READ MORE

May 1, 2012

Desolate Pride Civil War Sesquicentennial Exhibit opened.
READ MORE

April 18, 2013

Opened Routes of History Phase I.
READ MORE

October, 2013

Museum fundraised and published A Necessary War: Anderson County Residents Remember World War II...
READ MORE

April 8, 2014

Opened Routes of History Phase II.
READ MORE

September 5, 2014

Friends Board Museum Store was relocated to a new location right inside the front door...
READ MORE

October 14, 2014

The Reading and Research Room was renamed after our first ACM Curator Donna Roper...
READ MORE

June 29, 2015

Dustin Norris hired as the third Curator and Registrar.
READ MORE

July, 2015

A portion of the ACM Collection cataloged in Past Perfect was put online...
READ MORE

November 20, 2015

Opened Routes of History Phase III and launched the book Anderson Memories: the Early Years...
READ MORE

Beverly Childs


Executive Director
bchilds@andersoncountysc.org
864-964-6556

Dustin Norris


Curator and Registrar
rdnorris@andersoncountysc.org
864-964-6557

Linda Loparo


Education and Volunteer Coordinator
lbloparo@andersoncountysc.org
864-964-6559

Mary Koziar


Museum Aide
mkkoziar@andersoncountysc.org
864-964-6578

Julie Benitez


Graphic Design and Marketing
jbenitez@andersoncountysc.org
864-964-6560

ACM Advisory Committee

The Anderson County Museum Advisory Committee is appointed by the Anderson County Council. The committee functions and is governed by the State of South Carolina, County of Anderson ordinance 99-018.

District 1
Elizabeth Harris
David Locke

District 2
Laverne McDuffie

District 3
Eileen McGee Tucker

District 4
Jim Chisman
Tim Drake, Chair

District 5
Tim Medlin
Elma Norris

District 6
Donna Roper, Secretary
Lowry Wilson, Vice Chair

District 7
Lee Bagwell
Ricky Bell

Officers
Tim Drake, Chair
Lowry Wilson, Vice Chair
Elizabeth Harris, Secretary

ACM Friends Board 2016-2017

The Friends of the Anderson County Museum is a private 501(C)3 non-profit organization.  Gifts made to the Friends of the Anderson County Museum exclusively support Museum exhibits and programs. Anderson County funds the Museum’s staff and the operation of its building.

President
Jean Niles

Treasurer
Corky Harmon

2017 Chair Winter Night Gala
Sharon Short-Ernst

Taylor Allen
Phil Batson
Simms Brooks
Amy Chapman
Grace Clary
Dale Ellenburg
Judy Faulkenberry
Bobby Fretwell
Sheila King
Jimmy Pennell
Marshall Pickens, III
John Tucker

UPCOMING EVENTS

American Girl Club
May 20, 2017 11:00 am
202 E. Greenville St. Anderson, SC 29621
Preschool Hour
May 11, 2017 10:30 am
202 E. Greenville St. Anderson, SC 29621
An Enchanted Ball
June 23, 2017 6:00 pm
202 E. Greenville St. Anderson, SC 29621
Earth Day at the ACM
April 22, 2017 10:00 am
202 E. Greenville St. Anderson, SC 29621

TOUR

How to Book a Tour

The Anderson County Museum (ACM) offers docent-led tours of the ACM gallery for both adults and school groups ages third grade and older. Kindergarten, first and second graders are offered a field trip with a scavenger hunt. Our school programs are designed to address South Carolina social studies standards. Homeschool, Charter and Virtual On-line groups are encouraged to tour. Docent led tours are offered to groups of ten or more.

Tours must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance by e-mailing or calling the Museum Educator – Linda Loparo lbloparo@andersoncountysc.org  | (864) 260-6559 or the main number at (864) 260-4737. Please inform us of any special needs or interests in your group when scheduling your tour.
Tour Information
In-depth examination of the history of Anderson County and South Carolina is provided to groups as they explore the events and forces which have shaped this County. Through a guided tour of our award-winning gallery, Anderson County history is traced though permanent and temporary exhibits.
Chewing gum, food and beverages are not allowed in the gallery. Cameras with flash are not permitted.
Group Size
The minimum size for a docent led tour is ten or more people. Most school tours can accommodate 100 students in groups of 25. Special arrangements can be made for larger groups when time and space are available. Kindergarten, first and second graders must have one adult for every five students. Older school groups should have an adult for every ten students. Teachers are responsible for supervising their students while in the museum and must accompany students at all times.

VISITS

Admission:
Admission is free but be we ask for donations.

Location:
202 East Greenville Street
Anderson, South Carolina

Hours:
Tuesday 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Wednesday – Saturday 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

The Anderson County Museum exhibits are handicap accessible. Accessible parking is available in front of the facility entrance for vehicles displaying the appropriate disability permits. This parking is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. There is a drop-off only area, allowing a driver to drop a disabled passenger off at the entrance to the museum. A wheelchair is available free of charge on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please request it at our visitor’s desk. The Museum is also equipped with accessible restrooms, and drinking fountains.

Driving Directions:
From I- 85/ Charlotte: Take Exit 27 onto SC Highway 81N, turn left toward Anderson. The Anderson County Museum is located at 202 E. Greenville Street which is on the left in 9.26 miles.
From I-85/Atlanta: Take Exit 27 onto SC Highway 81N, turn right toward Anderson. The Museum is located at 202 E. Greenville Street which is on the left in 9.26 miles.

error: Copyright Protected Content